A new childcare center was being built in the middle of the city. It contained an outdoor space that was composed of a long, narrow courtyard. Higher Ground was hired to transform this outdoor space into a safe and interactive environment for young children. The space had to be built to stand up to the rigors of heavy use by a large group of children on a regular basis. The client required the space to contain:
- a divided play area to accommodate more than one group;
- a storage area for outdoor toys;
- a clean, grassy play area;
- gardens for educational purposes;
- sandboxes; and
- a pathway for children to ride toys on.
Higher Ground’s Solution:
Higher Ground worked closely with this client to create a well-planned, functional, and durable outdoor space that met every client requirement. Higher Ground:
- built two play areas that were separated by a low fence and gate, for easy supervision and accessibility when accommodating more than one group;
- built a storage area with a covered shelter to protect the outdoor toys from the weather;
- installed sandboxes and had them fitted with custom covers to enable year-round accessibility;
- installed artificial turf—a low maintenance and highly durable solution to providing a clean, grassy play area; and
- installed a garden for educational purposes that contained low maintenance, durable plants with year-round interest.
The end result was a safe, durable, multi-functional outdoor space for children to learn and play.
- Artificial Turf